The department was established in 2006 with initial intake of 40 students later on it was revised intake of 60 students w.e.f. 2009. At present there are four regular faculties and two visiting faculty in the department. Since the inception of the institute, this department is continuously under development. At present a total of 12 labs have been developed. Almost 100% eligible students of this department get placement in reputed companies.
SCOPE OF THE COURSES:-
1.1 Employment Opportunities for Diploma holders in Mechanical Engineering
The following are the major employment opportunities for diploma holders in Mechanical Engineering
- In manufacturing and processing industry primarily in private sector and to some extent in public sector.
- In service sector like Railways, Hospitals, Military Engineering Services, Boards and Corporations, Construction Companies, Transportation Departments, Telecommunication, PWD and Rural Development Agencies.
- In marketing sector for sales and after-sales services.
- As an entrepreneur In the state of Haryana, there is a good scope of employment for the diploma holders in industries engaged in manufacturing automobiles, mechanical equipment, and in food processing.
Some of the diploma holders can get self – employment in service sector and as vendors to manufacturing industries.
1.2 Competency Profile of a Diploma Holder in Mechanical Engineering
Keeping in mind the employment opportunities, a diploma holder in Mechanical Engineering should possess following competencies:
- Competency in preparing Mechanical Engineering drawings and skills in reading and interpreting drawings in Mechanical Engineering and other related fields like electrical/electronic/hydraulic/pneumatic circuit diagrams.
- Understanding about various forms, characteristics, testing, usage and standards of various types of materials used in Mechanical Engineering industry.
- Well versed with various production processes, tools and equipment and quality control operations including use of high-tech machines, CNC machines and PLC (Programmable Logic Control) machines for increased productivity and quality.
- Skills in making use of computers for different types of applications in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
- Knowledge and skills regarding various measuring instruments, process instrumentation, and inspection techniques.
- Understanding regarding procedures for installation, erection, layout, testing and maintenance of machines/equipment.
- Competencies in preparing material schedules, manpower schedules and process schedules.
- Knowledge and skills in the operation and maintenance of various plant facilities like material handling equipment/machines, compressors, pumps, boilers and power generation equipment/machines.
- Knowledge and skills to maintain suitable production records of production and services analyse operational efficiency and cause of waste and take remedial action.
- Competencies in carrying out work study, knowledge of plant layout and material handling especially movement of material on the shop floor and understanding of various elements of production, planning and control and QC tools.
- Competencies in problem solving in various functional areas, may it be prototype, development, diagnostic and faultfinding or repair and maintenance of plant and equipment.
- Knowledge and skills in communication, interpersonal relations and basic skills in management.
- Understanding regarding labour management and awareness regarding Laws and Acts related to labour welfare, safety and pollution control.
- Appreciation regarding leadership, team building and coordinated functioning for achieving desired targets.
- Continued learning skills for problem solving.
- Competencies in conducting survey and collection of feedback data from customers/users regarding performance of products and preparation of test/survey reports, their analysis and presentation.
- Knowledge and skills in applied sciences so as to develop scientific temper, and their applications in technology subjects and as a foundation for continued learning.